My sister’s wedding was held on Jan 30th 2010. Due to the busy Chinese Spring Festival I had time today to post some pictures! Haha… (It’s not a very good excuse!)
There are some local traditions on weddings in my hometown.
I’m going to mention a few important ones.
Normally in the morning the groom comes to pick the bride at the bride’s place or hotel, if they live very far away
the bride and her family will stay at a hotel.
My brother-in-law came to a hotel where we stayed for a night to pick my sister, our family and our friends.
2. The groom put a “flower badge ” on for the bride. The badge was made of a piece of red silk and a flower on it as well and written “bride” in Chinese. The groom, the bride, the best-man and the bridesmaid wore one each with their “titles” written on.
The four of them! hehe….
3. The most important part was the bride’s shoes were hidden and the groom had to look for them and then put them on for the bride. It took some time for the groom to look for the shoes though. It wasn’t an easy part, but a very fun one.
4. Next move was the groom carried the bride to the car. Well, my sister was a bit heavy for the groom to carry all the way from the room to the car. haha …so he only carried for a bit. I didn’t catch any picture of that part. I got one before they got into the head car of the wedding car group.
5. It was about one hour’s drive we arrived at the groom’s place. Due to the cold weather and other reasons I didn’t stop to take any pictures of the wedding cars and so on.
The first thing was the bride had to wash face again, just pretending to wash as she got make up on. It was the tradition was to do so. To wash off all the dust and so on because she would start her completely new life from there with her new family. There were four coins in the water. The bride had to put them on the four corners of the bed after she washed her face. All for good luck, fortune and heath.
6. This one was a very new one to me. A senior female from the bride’s side had to do it under instructions of the officiate at the marriage. hehe… She made a pair of scissors with red string and did something around the bride’s face. Oh she also said something meanwhile but I didn’t hear. No matter what the traditions are they all for one purpose that’s the good luck and heath for the the new couple.
7. There were too many things to do so the bride hadn’t eaten anything yet. The last part of the traditions was the bride had to eat an egg before the modern wedding ceremony started.
The wedding combined both traditions and a modern ceremony. The modern ceremony started after all of these traditions. It was great.
The modern ceremony is just the common procedure. I’m not going to write anything about it.